Tuesday 13 March 2018

Mad Mother and the Mouse House

If I have ever wondered if I might be ever-so-slightly bonkers, I think I need look no further than my own dear mother for a place to lay the blame!

I celebrated my 51st birthday last week and on Sunday I received a very surprising gift from said mother:


She'd made me a mouse house!

This is not just any mouse house either...


It's a mouse house made from a Jean Greenhowe pattern that she pulled out of her Woman's Weekly magazine over 40 years ago with a view to making it for me as a present!


Well better late than never I guess!


Do come in and have a look around.


It's a cosy house of two halves.


The living room...


...and the bedroom.


It's home to a family of dormice and this is father who has just made breakfast and is about to throw another log on the fire.


Mother is in the bedroom straightening the lovely patchwork quilt on her bed...


...and waking baby.


She's up.

Dad's got a roaring fire going now...


you can see the smoke billowing from the chimney outside.


And inside, there's sunlight streaming in thought the skylights.

So, there it is. I was NOT expecting that!

I would have loved it as a little girl but I will forgive my mother for the slight delay, after all, she was a very busy working mum of three. Thank you Mad Mother! xx

Until next time,
Zoe

15 comments:

  1. Such a fun little house! You are never too old for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe, your mousehouse is absolutely gorgeous! You have a very lovely clever Mum! It would have taken me over 40 years to make it. I think you should send the photos to Womans Weekly and hopefully they would publish the instructions again! My grandaughter would love it! Lucky You!
    Sue T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I was thinking I’d send the photos to WW!

      Delete
    2. Just as an update, I did email Woman's Weekly and they replied: "We would have loved to feature this in our ‘look what I made’ section, but unfortunately we don’t own the copyright to any of Jean Greenhowe’s past patterns and aren’t allowed to print her craft projects on our pages." Such a shame. Jean Greenhowe does have her own website and I emailed her to ask if she could date the pattern for me but I haven't heard anything back.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous!! It's magical! What a very kind and thoughtful mother you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's delightful Zoe! Well done your mother. I shall show the photos to Butterfly and tell her she may get the promised gnome home yet!
    Gilxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Gil, it's good to know it's not just my mum! xx

      Delete
  5. A belated happy birthday Zoe!
    And this the nicest way to be "slightly bonkers" ;-) What a lovely mother your have. And the house is simply gorgeous, and so beautifully made.
    I used to borrow Jean Greenhowe books from the library also about 40 years ago, I loved her ideas. And my mother read Woman's Weekly too, but I have no memory of this pattern which would have totally enchanted me then (as it does now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edel. I can imagine you making one of these [beautifully] as a girl!

      Delete
  6. Very belated birthday wishes Zoe. The Mouse House is amazing! What a wonderful mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Zoe that is amazing.. such a treasure. your mum sounds like she is so much fun to be around.. enjoy. cheers Christine XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Christine. I know I'm biased but I think she's one in a million! xx

    ReplyDelete